Saturday, October 10, 2015

Here’s to Hamburger King

IMG_2931

IMG_2929IMG_2930

I had lunch with my daughter and her near perfect children today.  A grandma has a right to say things like that….perfect children.  I can send them home anytime I want.  Seriously, they are kids that I really like.  I really like them.  Something else I like is Hamburger King, a hamburger place in Shawnee.

It is famous among the locals and it certainly is famous with this old local.  I love this place.  Mrs. Sutterfield wouldn’t like me loving an inanimate object.  This was the best it got back in the day.  I loved their hamburgers then and I love them now.  And oh the conversations had at these little four person booths.   

When my children were little and long after they left the house, it was a tradition with my parents to meet there at Christmas time.  Many a conversation regarding our Christmas lists took place at these little booths along with discussions of the food we would bring to her house on Christmas day.  And, of course, Daddy always had plenty to say about the latest news story—he was always caught up on his current events. 

After a great hamburger, we’d pile in one car and tour Shawnee looking at the lights and decorations of the season.  All six of us would be snuggled up in their car…..don’t you wish you could find a car that would seat three people in the front seat?    Braum’s for ice cream wasn’t out of the question, either. 

So………….HERE’S TO HAMBURGER KING.  LONG MAY YOU STAY IN BUSINESS.

I love you.

Another story:  Hamburger King has been in business for many years even back in my dad’s  early days.  He told this story many times.  He and his friend had a double date and each of them had one quarter.  A hamburger was a quarter back then.  He and his friend bought the girls each a hamburger and they ate them in the car.  He told us he’d never smelled anything so good as those hamburgers the girls were eating.  I can only imagine how delicious smelled in that confined space, can’ you?   Now girls, if you find a man who will spend their last quarter buying you a hamburger and not on themselves, you have a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive