Monday, December 14, 2015

The Shiny Plaid Dress

Good evening.  I'm just setting here listening to Adele's New York special when up comes a commercial.  In the commercial the woman picks up a little girl about 4 years old and the child is in a little red plaid Christmas dress.  The iconic dress that little girls have been wearing at Christmas since the 70s.  The fabric is shiny with metallic threads.  My daughter had one at about the same age.  As soon as I saw that little girl being lifted up into her mother's arms, my sense of...........smell hit me.  That may seem funny, but I can still smell the fresh new fabric of the dress.  I can smell her shiny tightly curled hair.  I can feel the warmth of her body through the fabric.  I can feel her little arms grab me around my neck and I can see her grin turn into a giggle.  I can feel her leaning away from me swaying with laughter, arms and legs still around me.  I can hear the crunch of the gathered skirt as I squeeze her a little tighter. 


My little girl has a daughter of her own now.  She will experience these same feelings one day.  Memories that can never be erased.  I will have to make sure my granddaughter has a scratchy shiny plaid Christmas dress when she's 4.  You never know what will trigger an emotion, even a commercial and a visual of a little girl in a plaid dress.


I love you. 
It's funny the memories I conjure up.  The year she had the little plaid shirt with white bodice, I wore a teal silk blouse with matching raw silk pants.  I have never had an outfit that I felt more beautiful in. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive