Monday, December 7, 2015

A Lump Formed in my Throat

A lump caught in my throat............


And we were at Sears.  Remember Sears and Roebuck?  We were there this evening looking for a strand of lights for the house..............yes.........we are very late this year putting up lights.  Sad place...that Sears store.  Sad.  There was a very little area designated for Christmas decorations this year and I thought last years' area was small.  We walked around for a couple of minutes looking at the few decorations they had when we finally spotted the outside lights.  There were only a couple of choices and only a couple boxes each of those.


Disappointed, we headed for the door when a huge nostalgic lump formed in my throat and tears formed in my eyes.  I told the hubby that Sears just wasn't the same anymore.  He agreed and we talked for a while about how much fun we have had at that store..........when the kids were little and everything was new and exciting as we began our life together.  Just remembering the kids walking around each aisle looking at the toy trains and the beautiful little baby dolls with anticipation in their eyes was almost more nostalgia than I could deal with tonight.  Tears were just on the edge.  Then my hubby stopped and said, "Sears is one of the accouterments of life, but it is NOT our life.  We are still living life."  He has a wonderfully sweet way of bringing me back into the here and now.  But for a while......a lump formed in my throat.


I love you.


Sears was a huge part of my childhood and a trip to see the Sears Santa was the highlight of every year.  One year my grandpa told me he personally knew that Sears Santa.  I remember looking into Santa's eyes to see if he knew that I was the granddaughter of his friend.  Surely he would say something special to me.  I couldn't quite figure that whole Santa, reindeers, grandpa connection, but I was certain that it was all very real.  


Sears holds so many memories and no doubt our little trip to Sears tonight is another added memory; perhaps a memory tinged with sadness for times gone by. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive