Friday, April 20, 2012

Part II - Hey, Don't Tell Anybody About This

I just published a post about how much my hubby loves his hobby - airguns.  Now let me tell you how much.  We made a road trip yesterday, just to make sure we knew the way to the upcoming airgun show.

Wednesday night we packed our car for our Thursday trip to the Arkansas Air Gun Show.  Oh yes, we are getting out of town.  Bright and early Thursday morning, after a quick emergency trip to the dentist, we pulled out, heading east to Malvern, AR.  For those of you who do not know where that is, it is about 20 miles east of Hot Springs, AR.  A full 6 hour trip from our house to the city center.  I know that because we set the GPS.   

We pulled into our hotel almost straight up 4:00 p.m. and here is where things started getting strange.  We pull up under the hotel canopy and see a van in front of us.  Noticing the Missouri license tag, the hubby makes mention that it must be old so and so because he is from Missouri.  We drag our tired, limping bodies into the lobby and notice nothing but women.........hmmmmm.  They all get checked in and now it is our turn.  I tell the girl our name, she looks it up and nothing.  Oh, it must be because I had used my name on the reservation, so that must be it.  "Look under the name Regina Tucker."  No such name.  hmmmmm  "Well I put my reservation number in my notes on the cell phone.  Let me get that."  Nope!  No reservation for today.  Then we proceed to tell her that we are part of the airgun show.  I knew she would know about that.  And she did - she knew a lot more than us apparently.  "No folks, the airgun show is next week."  "NEXT WEEK!  Are you kidding me?  We drove 6 blankety blank hours on the wrong day - the WRONG WEEK??!!!!  Johnny, they are going to lock us up.  Yeah, don't tell anybody we ever did this.  Are we senile?  Well, I guess we now know the answer to that question.  Are we crazy?  Oh, my, gosh!

Now I have taken my 8 year old daughter to a birthday party the day after the party, I have found myself on a street I did not know I had turned on, I have found milk on a shelf in the cabinet, but I have never taken a TRIP six hours away to a scheduled event on the wrong week.  You'd think somewhere during that six hour trip, one of us would have said something about the date.

Normally this show is the first weekend in May and I had made mention that since they moved it back ONE week (NOT TWO) that I would now be able to go to the Kolache Festival in Prague this year.  I knew the show was the last weekend in April, and why we got ready to go (and might I mention again that not only did we get ready, WE WENT) this week we will never know.  I still say senility.  Watch out for us. 

For several minutes we sat in the car and beating ourselves up and feeling like stupid idiots.  Now what do we do?

Go home?  That would mean another 6 hours driving and neither one of felt in the mood to do that.  Besides we would relive the stupidity of our actions all the way home.

Go see Rhonda and John, we are only another 5 hours away?  No, not without Stormy.  Besides I have a dental appointment on Monday and now hubby has dental issues as well.

How about Hot Springs?  After we had a nice dinner at Via Roma, we spent the night in a nice hotel in a nice town and just relaxed.  This morning we found a great antique mall, and by 12:30 we were on our way home.  We managed to make something that for quite a while was very unpleasant into something memorable and fun.  We might be able to laugh about this some day, but maybe not for a while.

Hey, don't tell anybody about this.  {wink}  I love you.   

3 comments:

  1. I am laughing now, out loud! At least you made the best of it and went to an antique mall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have driven on down! Then driven on to Lafayette to get me! I would give up scrapping for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, by the way, what is the difference between leaving Stormy while you are in Arkansas and leaving Stormy while you are in Mississippi. Other than Susie would be mad not to get to see her "cousin"!

    ReplyDelete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive