Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Head for the House!


I want to go to Red River.  Sam's Club is my in town happy place and Red River is my out of town happy place.  There are just too many things drawing my attention to Red River so it must be about time for a vacation. 

Thing 1.  We went to the Paseo Arts Festival this weekend.  Some of the shops in the Paseo district remind me a lot of the shops in Taos which is about 35 miles SE of Red River and always a day trip while in Red River.  I want to go there!  I don't know if any of you know this, but I have a secret desire to dress as they do in Red River and Taos.  I want to wear long, bright peasant skirts, white shirt tied at the waist, and sandals.  I want to let my hair grow long and let the color go grey and all flyaway.  Well, not so much on that last part, but I would like to wear clunky turquoise jewelry and look all artsy.  I was never a hippie so maybe I missed something.  I might even buy me a long skirt this season.

Thing 2.  The air was cool this morning so much like the air in Red River; however, in Red River the air is cool like that all day.  The mornings are almost cold, but a walk down to the nearest bakery for Kolaches (and yes, there is a shop that specializes in Kolaches) and a cup of coffee will invigorate you.  You might not be able to breathe, but you will be invigorated!   If you have never been to Red River in the summer, you are missing a great vacation site.  When the temperature in Oklahoma is 108, it is 75 in Red River in the "heat" of the day.  At night, you may or may not hear a bear rumaging around the locked garbage bins.  You most definitely (OK might) see deer grazing around town and if you keep your eyes open on the trip up from Oklahoma, you will see antelope.  It will take you a long ten hours to get there, but well worth the trip for sure.

Thing 3.  I have text (is that text or texted - wonder if they teach proper techie talk in school these days) or called my sister this weekend a couple of times.  A couple of years ago, she and her family went with us to Red River and we had one of the best vacations ever!  We rented a van with three seats and off the 5 of us went to Red River....and least I forget the two dogs....Boomer wrapped around J's neck and Stormy in his lap for ten hours.  What a trip and one I will never forget!  It thrilled me that they seemed to be as enamored with Red River and I am.

Thing 4 and this is the best one.  This morning while I was hoeing my garden -- don't get all excited -- I have 5 watermelon plants, 8 tomatoes, 5 rows of okra, 4 jalapeno plants, 2 squash plants, 3 cucumber plants, and some dill which had a caterpillar on it this morning already! (he's dead now - sorry all you environmentalist)............anyway, back to my story, while I was hoeing it reminded me of those times when we were hoeing peanuts and daddy would pick up his hoe in the middle of the row and tell us to head for the house.  Just like that, we were going to Tenkiller.   

Don't you think this all adds up to a trip to Red River?  Sure seems like it to me.  Now I have to convince the hubby.  There is an old car show there this weekend.  Reckon (an Oklahoma word) that will be enough enticement?

I love you.  Anybody want to go to Red River?  Head for the house!  Just like that, we....................... to be continued......................  Love you guys. 

2 comments:

  1. sure makes me want to go to Red River!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We may not be Red River, but I have some cabinets that need cleaned. Same your hotel money and come to Mississippi, Birthplace of America's blues! You can experience all kinds of joy while you clean my cabinets out! We may not have Taos, but you can shop at the Toad House. And we even have a new thrift shop open. Unfortunately, my favorite spot, Georgeanne's, has closed now.

    If you get my house cleaned in time, I might even let you sun out by the pool. And we are experiencing a cool front today since it hasn't even made it to 90!

    See! We have everything you could possible want!

    ReplyDelete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive