Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Loves at First Bite

Not that I call myself a writer, but sometimes I have writer's block.  Nothing seems to come to mind, but for some reason, I have been craving Caprese Salad today............so why not write a blog about it and a few other Loves at First Bite. 

Do you have foods that you remember the very first bite you ever took?  I have so many, but will only share three with you, otherwise this post will be longer than you want to read. 

I remember the very first time I took a bite of lobster and I fell in love!  My date and I were at the NCO club at Tinker AFB, back when they actually had a NCO club.  Once he realized I had never had lobster, he insisted I take a bite of his.  Oh my gosh, my taste buds were in gourmet heaven.  I had never tasted anything so delicious in my 21 year old life.  Dipped that bite in drawn butter........heavenly.

I also remember my children's first bite of lobster....on vacation in Maine....the real lobster.....not the fake crab legs which we had been passed off as lobster to them.  We had that "oh, what have we done" moment.

Medium rare steak - It took a long time before I ventured on the rare side.  We had a restaurant in Del City called The Sirloin Stockade back in the day.....long before I met my hubby.  The girls in my office were lunch regulars, Jackie always ordering hers rare and I always ordered my well done.  One day, Jackie insisted that I would like her steak better than my own.  She had me close my eyes and fed me two bites, one of hers and one of mine.  As much as I hated to admit it, I like hers more than mine.  Nobody told me.......

One of my very favorite foods for the last 17 years is Caprese Salad.  Back in 1995, I had my very first taste of this summer delight.  I was at the Union Station restaurant in Ogden, UT, with at least 12 other TDYers.  The Union Station didn't call it Caprese Salad; just fresh mozzarella and tomato salad.  Not feeling up to par I ordered this "light" meal, not having a clue to what I was ordering, but it sounded like something that wouldn't upset my tummy.  I was sure I was going to get shreds of cheese and tomatoes on a bed of greens, but lo and behold, they delivered me a beautiful arrangement of fresh mozzarella made on the premises (which I had never even seen before let alone eaten) and tomatoes.  Who knew this simple salad would be so delicious. 

I have been craving Caprese Salad right now and have been all day long.  My basil is to lush and beautiful, but my tomatoes are a couple of months away.  Can I wait till the tomatoes are ripe or do I head to Sam's tomorrow for tomatoes and fresh mozzarella?  I feel the draw to my favorite store!

Those are just a few of my Loves at First Bite.

I love you ~ Caprese Salad!!    
Thanks for reading.


  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive