Wednesday, May 9, 2012

It's Been 15 Minutes, Turn Over

It was HOT last week.  Did you notice?  I was on the ZTR and even speeding along on that thing, I couldn't gin up a wind chill.  A ride on the ZTR today, however, did stir up the wind chill index.  Loving this weather.

All this talk of heat reminds me of my teen age years.  And yes, I can remember them!  Think early to mid-60s.  Think The Platters, the Beatles, Gene Pitney (oh my, he was my man in those days - Town Without Pity, Down in the Boondocks - I was in love with Gene), Leslie Gore (It's my Party), and I could go on and on.  Those were the days.  Days of innocence.

Tans were big and the tanner the better.  A cute white pleated skirt, a pink sleeveless shirt and a tan - well that was what we thought was style and fashion.  Nobody thought a thing about getting a sunburn.  We worshipped the sun.  A little hot, but it was a small price to pay for such glamour and a hope of catching a boyfriend.   

Tanning was part of every teenager's summer even the boys.  Even with no swimming pool within 15 miles, I would spread my beach towel on the lawn and bring out my transistor radio, the baby oil - none of this SPF 50 for us - NO, sunglasses, a book or my latest issue of Teen or Seventeen, and a tall glass of ice water.  Every 15 minutes, the DJ would announce that it had been 15 minutes and I would obediently turn over and lather more baby oil.  Occasionally, I had a friend over and we could talk about boys or the lack of boys in our lives.  Poor us..............

I have been one of the lucky ones so far and haven't had any long term damage from baking in the sun, but my younger family members haven't been so lucky.  I am here to tell you, for their sakes, not to bake in the sun.  You will regret it later.

Which brings up the suntan lady that has made the news lately - that alone should be your first clue as to WHY you should NOT be baking in the sun or the suntanning beds.  But maybe I am jealous......

I love you.   

2 comments:

  1. Funny, I just loved my transistor radio. I still remember the station WHB AM radio! We used baby oil and sometimes added iodine to it to make us darker, and we wore tiny little bikini's. Funny we would lay a blanket right in the front yard, never really paying attention to car's driving by occasionally. we would set up the sprinkler and occasionally run through it just to cool off. I love that your stories bring out my own memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the iodine in the baby oil. What were we thinking? I remember DJ Ronnie Kaye on KOMA telling us when to turn over.

    ReplyDelete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive