Thursday, June 16, 2011

It Did Not Rain Today




It did not rain today. It was hot, but the pics of rain we recently had are just cool and I wanted to show them. It has been hot for days, but my house is cold. Sometimes too cold and I wrap up in my afghan like right now. This afternoon I walked out to my front porch just to get warmed. Yes, it was that cold, for me at least. I propped myself up on the porch swing and just day dreamed a little. The warm air felt wonderful.





The hubby joined me and we just started reminiscing about how hot our houses were when we were kids. We had no air conditioning. What a treat it was to go to Kress' or Woolworth's for they were cool. Top that off with a cherry limeade at the lunch counter and we were in heaven.










I remember trying to get sleep in my hot room with a wet washcloth on my forehead. I'd move my pillow to the end of the bed where the open window was and where I would put my radio. It was always tuned to WLS in Chicago. Chicago seemed like the other side of the world and I thought it must be very urban to live there. What a different world it was from the Prague farm where we lived.





I remember the time Mom won a water cooler at the Rural Electric Associational meeting. That was the first thing we had that cooled the air besides just a fan. Mom would turn that thing on and man, it got cold. I remember her setting her ironing board up right in front of the thing.










Later we actually got an a/c unit for the window, but it only cooled the living room. Eventually they got one for the kitchen and when I got a job after high school I bought one for my room. I am sure you kids remember their window units. That may be your last memory of anyone having window units for now we are fortunate to have central air.

There are so many blessings in life. When is the last time you considered air conditioning a blessing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive