Friday, March 8, 2013

Thanks for Your Advice, Grandma

I am expecting company this next week so I am cleaning.  No, I am not trying to be all Martha Stewarty, but I am trying to clean a little deeper than usual.  In fact, I might be Spring Cleaning.  I capitalized that because it is an event in my house. 

I love having company for it spurs me on to do things that I have neglected.  I don't know about you, but sometimes something is misplaced for so long that I don't even notice it.  A good way to see the misplaced items is to take a picture of your family.  If you say "That would have been a good picture if  fill in the blank had been put away.", then you need to take care of fill in the blank.

A bit of advice from a woman who cleans house rarely, but is an imperfect wannabe perfectionist--stay on top of it.  There is no reason for me to ever Spring Clean again.  I should be working out a system whereby I clean weekly.  

Another bit of advice--make a first impression.  Make sure the entrance to your home is clean and attractive.  Go out to the curb and walk to your front door.  What grabs your attention?  Make a list.  Do you need to put the hose up for the season?  Does the flower bed need attention?  Are there dead leaves on the porch?  Does the whole front porch need dusting?  Does your front door need a good cleaning?  First impressions - you will not get another chance to make a first impression.  By the way, those are questions that I asked myself and sadly, all of those needed (noticed the 'ed' on that word) attention.  I am so ashamed. 

Another bit of advice and this from my very wise grandmother who passed away 41 years ago today.  She told me never to apologize for my home.  I am sure many of you are skeptical about that, but it is true.  She told me that long before I ever became engaged.  She didn't have much, but she never apologized for a thing.  Someone told me, and I forget who, that my grandmother always made her feel welcome in her home even when she dropped in unannounced. 

I hope to make my company feel welcome in my home next week.  That is my goal.  I want my house to be clean, but I want my company to feel comfortable enough to put their feet up.  I want them to want to come back sometime.  I want them to feel the hospitality that my grandmother instilled in me. 

Thanks for your advice, Grandma.  I still miss you after all these 41 years.

I love you.  I'll mop, you dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive