Friday, March 1, 2013

Entertainment????????

Every once in a great while, I like a black and white movie--an oldie.  Tonight is just the night...a night at home.....fireplace burning.....and my laptop....a commentary of our times.  I wonder just how many people in the good old US of A are tonight, at this very moment, on their laptops, iPads, or smart phones?  What am I asking??????  People cannot even go to the bathroom without their smart phones..(and it is kind of disgusting to hear someone on the phone in the ladies room).

Anyway, this great little 1947 movie stars Charlie Chapman, "Monsieur Verdoux", and even though I don't remember ever seeing him in any movies until I was married, I do see several old, old movie stars.  William Frawley of the "I Love Lucy" fame;  probably you know him.   And then there is Martha Raye.  When I think of Martha Raye, Grandpa Dawkins comes to mind.  We kids stayed at Grandpa Dawkins' house a lot when Mom and Dad went out (most often to buy groceries).  I think TV was Grandpa's favorite invention; he just loved his TV and variety and game shows were his favorite.  Martha seemed to be on everyone of those variety shows--always brash and obnoxious. 

So many have entertained us over the years (Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, and the list goes on and on), but sadly they are now only faded memories that come to life when we come across an old movie.  Times were so different then......no blood and guts even though shots were fired......no nudity.......no cursing......and you know what?  We were entertained!  Today, we think that everything should be as real as possible..........murder should look like murder, blood and guts.........cursing should be as hard and graphic and shocking as it can be to mock what we hear on the streets..........nudity because we have become accustomed to it.  And what has all this "reality entertainment" gotten us?  Are we truly better off with all this "reality"?

Just so you know, I love the year in which I am living now.  I would never want to live in the 1950s again, as sweet as they were, but I often question why the human race seeks more and more reality....don't we live it enough? 

Daddy, you would not like all this reality..........and you'd never let me watch "Grey's Anatomy". 

By the way, this little movie is over now and while it wasn't the greatest, it was entertaining in a way that isn't common in 2013.

I love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive