Monday, November 18, 2013

Hankies

Good morning everybody.  Just finished my last drop of coffee and my last tiny bite of toast so my day can now begin.  I have been a little under the weather for the last ten days, but seem to be on the mend.  Now I do not have an excuse for not getting up and getting busy.  No lazing around for this old gal today.  I have things to do; like cleaning out my purse.  My cross-body bag is now one big round tote.  Just when I thought I needed 43 Kleenexes in my purse, I do not know.  I just kept refreshing my supply with new ones without taking out the others.  As sick as I have been, I sure did not want to run out of Kleenexes.  Ladies, if you have ever needed a Kleenex and found yourself without one, then you know what I am talking about.

This brings up a question.  Remember when men used to always have a fresh clean handkerchief in their back pocket?  Do you see anybody under the age of 60 with a handkerchief in pockets these days?  Has that gone out of fashion?  Who is going to take care of the ladies in their life?  In all the old back and white movies, the gentleman always had a handkerchief for his love's teary eyes.  That is one good thing about my hubby, he always has one.  If I need a Kleenex and don't have one, he just reaches into his back pocket.  I try to give it back, but he declines and tells me to keep it.  Wonder why? 

I used to iron them for him, but not in a while.  Now days, the fabric they use for "hankies" (that's what we used to call them) don't have to be ironed.  Don't tell anyone, but sometimes I do anyway.  I used to iron t-shirts, too, but maybe that is another story.  Speaking of stories, tomorrow I am going to have a clip of my grandson's soccer goal........grandma's prerogative. 

In the meantime, I will be cleaning my purse and ironing, minus "hankies".  Looking out my front window with sun shining in, looks like I will be washing windows, too.  No excuses today!

My mom had a lot of ironing back in the day with four little girls and one little boy; lots of shirts and dresses that always needed starching and ironing.  One of my chores to help her out was ironing the flat pieces like "hankies".  That is what we called them back then.  White ones for men (sometimes with an initial) and flowery ones for the ladies.  I took great pride into ironing them flat, folding them in half, ironing that half, then folding them again and ironing again.  So things were PRESSED.  They were so beautiful all folded and creased and pressed.  I can remember getting great pleasure out of seeing my hankies all stacked and neat.  Oh...........buying daddy a box of three white ones with his initials on them was a Christmas tradition for me when I was a kid.  Oh the memories................

Just a little story about hankies.

I love you!  
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive