Monday, August 3, 2015

One More Sunday Dinner

Hey everybody.  Don't tell the children, but it is August.......UGH.  Not a huge fan of school, but it is about to start.  Again....UGH.  I pretty much hate school even after almost 50 years, another UGH.  I attend a lot of my grandchildren's school events, but it is almost torture for me.  Not that I don't like to attend for my grandchildren's sake, it is that I just don't have fond memories of my own school years.


But that's not what I want to write about tonight.  Kitchen aromas - that's what I want to talk about.    Yesterday, I had the occasion of cooking a rather large meal and taking it to someone around lunch time.  We took the food and came back about 30 minutes later so the aroma of ham and hot rolls, dumplings and scalloped potatoes still lingered in the air when I opened the door.  And did it ever smell good.  There's nothing like the sense of smell to take me back to that special place with those I love.


That is where I went Sunday; back to those special people I love.  Every Sunday for years (and then they cut it back to every other Sunday) my grandma, aunts, and mom would take turns fixing a huge Thanksgiving-type meal for all their families.  No restaurant can compare to the wonderful aromas when we'd first walk in after church; roast beef, ham, fried chicken, smothered steak, or pork chops in the oven.  Talk about comfort food--we had it all; great food, a wonderful family, and an afternoon of playing with cousins.  Comfort food is about love and that is where I went Sunday--right back to those I love.  Wish I could have one more Sunday dinner with them. 


I love you.


      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive