Saturday, June 21, 2014

Here's to the Longest Day of the Year

Today is the first day of summer.  The longest day of the year..........and it feels like it.  I had the grandchildren this afternoon and they were perfect, but I do notice tiredness a lot more than I did when the first grandchild was born 10 years ago.


It is time for a few summer things I love.  I'd better get started on my list for soon it will be the last day of summer. 


Here's to summer loves and not necessarily in order.


Novels..........long epic novels.  I just started reading "Gone With the Wind" again.  Who can't remember reading a good book while basking in the sun, burning to a crisp.  Still, it brings back good memories.


Naps in the hammock.


Snow cones  (The ones in Meadville, MS, are the greatest on earth.  If you ask for cream, and who in Mississippi doesn't, you will actually get sweetened condensed milk.  While you are at the window, just say I want extra, extra cream.  This little concoction will cost you in every way possible, but well worth it in ALL of those ways.)


Water, whether that be pool water, ocean water, or lake water........even bottles of ice cold water.  Even WATERmelon!  Maybe the best "water" experience is floating in Rhonda's pool indulging in a wedding cake snow cone with extra, extra cream.


Fish tacos


Crepe Myrtles


FOURTH OF JULY  Everything about the 4th of July excites me.  Even if there is nobody here to share the day with us, I still absolutely love the 4th.  My flag will be flying, the grill will be lit, and you might even see me with a sparkler.  I can smell the grill right now!


Tomatoes - This right here would probably be the number one thing I love about summer if I were to categorize the list.  I would venture to guess that it would also be all of my sisters' favorites, too.


Shorts (notice I didn't say swim wear) - Now this sure wouldn't be at the top of my list and probably not my sisters' lists either.  Yep, we got our genes from our mother.


Bright nail polish and painted toe nails


Al fresco dining


VACATION


Convertible rides


Mowing the lawn.  Serious Clark.  Doesn't everybody.


Walks


Grilled vegetables


Corn on the cob


United States flag waving proudly


Short haircuts


Flip Flops (Called thongs in my day.  Don't call them that these days or you will get giggles.)


McDonald's frappe.  (My newest and latest indulgence.)


RED RIVER I guess that might be put under the vacation category, but Red River, to me, is my home away from home, IF I had a home away from home.  My happy place.  I would truly love to live there for at least three months, maybe four at least once in my life.  I'd go up in June and come home in mid-October.  Yep.....that's about right.


Okra, cucumbers, and squash


Porch swings.  Naps in the porch swing--the best!


Summer showers.  They don't often come, but when they do it is heavenly. 


Salt tablets - I haven't had a salt tablet since I was 16 years old.  They were passed out to church campers, and I am not exactly sure I know why.  It didn't really matter, I just loved them.  I'd like to have one now.


Floating in the pool (Did I mention this already?  Snow cones with extra, extra cream?)


Fruit drinks, especially the slushy kind.


Homemade ice cream


Soda over clear crushed ice


White jeans


Air conditioning


Beach bags - cute beach bags - and large floppy hats


Schools out - Okay school has been out for me for 48 years and it STILL is a pleasant feeling for school to be out for the summer.  I might have had issues.


Sun tans - Again, tanning has been out for me, too, for at least 10 years or so, but if it weren't for the skin care issues, I would be tanning this very day.


I could go on and on.....like watching my grandsons shiver in the sprinkles; that ice cold well water.


Here's to the longest day of the year!


I love you!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive