Thursday, May 30, 2013

Put Your Makeup On

 
BEFORE YOU BEGIN ANY TASK, PUT YOUR MAKEUP ON
 
Yesterday, my niece posted this as her status on Facebook.  We all had a lot of fun reading it and wondered just exactly what century this was written.  Read, giggle, and then think.

1949--A lifetime ago; I know because I was only a year old.  World War II had ended only 4 years prior.  The boys, the fortunate ones, had returned to start their families.  They had fought the good fight and now it was time for the good life.  The writer above just wanted to help women achieve the good life with a bit of advice on how to make sewing, or any chore for that matter, just a little more pleasant.

CLEAN FIRST--We could make a lot fun of this article, but actually it has some good advice.  I am sure your mouth has dropped to the floor at this point so let me explain.  These days sewing for most of us is a hobby.  I know I enjoy any hobby or project more knowing that when I put it away, I will not be hit in the face with a sink full of dishes or bathrooms that needing scrubbing.  Everyone should get involved so here is a piece of advice.  Before your children say their nighttime prayers, have them and the hubby help you get the house in order so that you can begin your day a bit easier. 

MAKEUP--put it on.  Be ready to go at any moment of the day.  Of course there are going to be days when 'ya just don't wanna', but for the rest of the time, get yourself dressed.  If your friends call you at the last moment, be ready to go without the complete makeover.  You don't have to go around all day in your 'Sunday Go To Meetin' clothes, but be able to throw on a pair of jeans and a top at a moments notice.  You put on your makeup earlier in the day.........so you are 'goods to go' (as Shawna says.)  You never know when I might drop by to take you to lunch and I can always use a good Cinnamon Dolce Latte.  (I'll call first and I won't come in the house.)

I know what you are thinking.  "Are you crazy?  I have kids.  I don't have time to clean the house and putting on makeup is useless."  BUT do you have time to Facebook?  In fact, how many times a day do you check in?  3?  6?  12!!!  How many times a day do you twitter, or Pinterest, or check your email?  How many times do you check some sort of Internet news source?  How many times a day do you check your texts and answer them?  You got time; we all have time.  In fact, we all have the same amount of time.  It is just a matter of priorities.

BUT back to the writer's advice on sewing..............  My sewing skills are, at best, pretty amateurish.  Perhaps I have been sewing lackadaisically and with indifference and no makeup!  I should get my head in the game, my house cleaned so that my mind doesn't wander back to all those household chores that I have left unattended, and geez..............put on makeup!!!!!!!!!!

True story--when Shawna was a little girl, maybe 7, she came home from Sunday School and told me her teacher told her that when she was sick, she'd take a shower, fix her hair, and put on her makeup.  It would make her feel better.  I am here to tell you, that has stayed with her and me all these years.  To this day when either of us is sick or down, we remind each other...put your makeup on.     

I love you!  I struggled with this post tonight. It is hard for me to express exactly how I felt after reading the article.  I guess I was kind of jealous that we no longer live in times as simple as the writer made it seem.  Today our lives are so busy, but it seems everybody, including myself, find time for the Internet.  Sad commentary.  We have been sucked in.............. 


2 comments:

  1. I have had to "put my makeup on" a lot lately. Love the post. Ready for some target and hot coffee from starbucks

    ReplyDelete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive