Sunday, May 8, 2016

White Rose or Red Rose

Happy Mother's Day.




When I was a child, it was a custom that people, men and women alike, wore corsages to church on Mother's Day.  If not a corsage, then at least a small flower, roses if you had a bush; red or pink for those whose mothers were still living and white to signify mothers who were no longer living.  You know, back then, I really didn't think much about those white flowers other than the fact that their mothers were dead.  End of it.........dead, gone.  Little did I think that those people might be hurting or even actually remembering their mothers.  You see.............I was little and death was the furthest thing from my mind.....my mother was setting right on the pew with me and her mother was four pews ahead of us.  All I really thought about was playing with my cousins at my grandma's house after church. 


Now ten years after my own mom passed, I understand the white flowers.  I understand a little more what those people in my little church might have been feeling all those years ago.  The white roses didn't just symbolize...........dead, gone...........it represented mothers who were still living in their children's hearts.  My mom.......I miss her physical presence, but her spiritual presence will always be with me for she lives in my heart, my memories, my mind.  She will be with me forever.


I hope that you are wearing a red rose today.  I hope that you are spending the afternoon with cousins at your grandma's house.  But if you are wearing white, please know that I sympathize with you.  I hope you can smell some sweet red roses today because your mother still lives in you. 




I love you all my sweet friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive