Monday, January 16, 2012

The Lowly Cornbread

Cornbread is surely misunderstood.  Most of us only have cornbread as a side to stew at a restaurant.  This cornbread has probably been made and setting around for a day or two and certainly not hot.  But have you ever had a hot piece of cornbread straight from the oven?  I mean a hot, hot, hot piece?  Nothing better.  Cook it in a wedge portioned cast iron skillet so that each piece is crispy all the way around and you have sheer bliss.  The kind of bliss you get when you are eating your favorite dessert only its not sweet.  Nah, don't make that sweet cornbread.  Take that hot and steaming piece of cornbread out of the pan and split it horizontal - watch out now, ah that's it.  Be careful or you will burn your sweet little fingers. Carefully spread at least a tablespoon of softened butter between the top and bottom.  Put the top back on it and let it set for about 5 seconds just so all that butter disappears.  Now carefully lift that cornbread to your lips, but hold the plate underneath you chin.  Now take a bite.  Now you know why you have the plate near your chin....all you can do is moan as the warm butter drips off your chin.  Now that!! my friends is what cornbread is all about.  Yummy, steamy, buttery cornbread.  Why.......it is almost like eating a fresh ear of corn right off the cob.  I have a blog all about that, but will save it for corn season.

I have told you about how Mrs. Tucker never ate between meals unless it was a piece of cornbread, but did you know that she loved some cornmeal mush?  Did you know my mom loved cornmeal mush, too?  I never understood what they saw in mush until I lately discovered polenta.  Yes, mom thought that cornmeal mush was much better than any other hot cereal; i.e. oatmeal or cream of wheat. 

And did you know that my dad loved cornbread and milk.  Most any time we had cornbread for supper and if there were any left, he would crumble it in a glass of milk.  That was his TV watching treat and I don't remember one of us kids clamoring for this.  No, he could have all he wanted for we sure didn't want some wet cornbread!  He could eat in peace and he didn't have to share with five little mouths.

As I said earlier, I have found polenta!!, another flavor that has been missing from my life and now found.  You must try this golden, buttery, corny dish.  Just buy yourself a bag of polenta.  Some bags may have a label that says polenta or grits, but I am here to tell you that if you buy a bag of yellow polenta, it is not the same as grits.  I like grits, too, but don't be fooled into not buying it because you don't like grits.  Not the same, I tell you.  At my store, polenta is found along the same aisle as the cornbread mixes.  Make yourself a pan just as the directions on the package says.  After it cooks, scoop the thick mixture into a loaf pan and let it set/cool.  You can refrigerate to quicken the cooling process.  When it cools, slice it into slices about an inch thick.  Place the slices overlapping on a baking sheet with sides.  I use an 8 by 10 inch Pyrex dish.  Now here is the best part.  Pour 1 stick of melted butter over the polenta.  Then sprinkle with shredded Parmesan.  Bake in 350 degree oven till lightly golden brown.  Call me!  Let's eat!!  My son-in-law loves this the red beans and rice.  I have to say he has very good tastes.

Note:  If you want to have a better cornbread experience, buy a bag of stone ground cornmeal and find yourself a great recipe (WITHOUT SUGAR).  I almost always have a bag in my freezer.  The bag I have now I bought from a guy who was actually using a hit or miss gasoline engine to grind the corn right on the spot.  It is really good cornmeal.  Most often, I find myself grabbing a bag of Shawnee Mills Yellow Cornbread Mix as it is delicious, quick, and very easy.  The lowly cornbread, it was what's for lunch today.
 
Pardon me, I need to have a tall glass of cornbread and milk.  Here's to you, Daddy.  I love you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive