Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Year 2012

Man, did you ever think that you would ever see the year 2012?  Back when I was a kid, thinking of years beyond 1999 seemed like science fiction.  Now that we are here, it still seems like science fiction.  There sure are a lot of robot-type gadgets out there.

This last year was a biggie for us.  We finally entered the 21st century, but we entered kicking and dragging, holding on to '90s with all our might.  This comes as a surprise to my kids since we still had a rotary dial phone until they were in high school, making them the laughing stock of their friends.  I realize we are 12 to 20 years behind most of you, but hey..... you gotta wait and see if things are really going to work.  Get the kinks get worked out.  You have to see if Beta is going to be the standard or will it be VHS?  For you guys younger than 35, you have no idea what I am talking about. 

A couple of months ago I finally bought myself an Android phone with the promise of the salesman that I could bring it back within a month if I wasn't totally satisfied.  Well I wasn't.  The size was almost impossible to use as a phone although the screen was great for using all those apps.  One might as well been putting a clipboard to their ears.  Then the Iphone 4G s caught my eye...........  I was hooked..........I had to have it, but sadly I had to wait for what seemed to be FORever.  Finally my phone rang; my long awaited Iphone was in...Yahoo.  I had to get to the store quickly for they were only holding it that day.  That was no problem since it was at my happy place.  I could not believe it when I got there and I had my choice of black or white.  White, of course!  Oh my goodness, what a wonderful pretty little device this is.  I can be setting at a light, in the passenger seat of course, and look to see if Home Depot carries Sylvania lights.  They don't.  How cool is that?  Oh, and you can just say "Text to Rhonda" and proceed to tell it what you want text(ed???).  Texting and driving............I am only kidding!!!

Now for out next techno gadget. Two weeks ago we bought a LED 40" TV.  It, too, is as smart driven as the Iphone.  We can set right on the couch and do all sorts of fun things Internet-wise besides watching TV with this amazingly clear picture.  Remind me to tell you the story that precedes this 40" TV sometime.

Then, for the third gadget within a month, I got the hubby a Kindle Fire for his 70th birthday.  He didn't even know he wanted one, but has played with it almost  nonstop since then.  It is the handiest little thing ever.  Another little mini-computer that we can stow in our luggage.  With that and the 4G phone we are Internet connected in almost all situations.  Now, let's go somewhere....somewhere exotic.  Yeah! 

Kids, I am here to tell you that before the quest for these type devices, I had no idea what 4G or wi-fi, Pandora, Hulu, 1080p, 120hz, Roku, apps, Siri, the cloud, etc even meant.  Now I feel like I could hold a somewhat intelligent conversation with a saleman and possibly ask a non-laughable question. 

Have you ever wondered how your grandpa would have handled buying a new TV these days?  I can hear it now, "Johnny, we need a new TV.  Can you bring it down for us?  I don't want to mess with it".  Sometimes I don't either, dad.  My mind was a lot less cluttered in 1990, but here I am, smack dab in the middle of the 21st century.  I guess we are at the entry of the 21st century, aren't we?  Wonder how things will have changed by the time the 22nd century arrives.  That is a just a little scary to think about, huh?  

Love to all of you for the year 2012.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive