Thursday, October 18, 2012

I Do Love My Little Grandboys

I have talked about our five little acres before, but it is never more appreciated than when the grandsons are here.  For the last couple of days, most of their day was spent throwing balls, driving tractors, dragging limbs to the big trash pile, takings walks, kicking leaves, scavenger hunts, swinging on the tire swing, and running with the dog.  .........their own private park here.

We crafted, baked cookies, took a walk to find pretty leaves, ate out three different fast food places, and watched movies.  Who knew the two hour marathon of Three Stooges shorts could generate 94 questions?  "Grandpa, when was this movie made?  Who is Shemp?  There were four?  What are their last names?  What is a judge?  Are they brothers?  This one was made in 1953; Nana how old were you in 1953?", etc, but those giggles were all worth the questions. 

And then there were non-Stooges questions..........................
"Nana, can we have a drink? No, no, not water.  I mean a Coke."
"Nana, when Mommy was little where did she sleep?"
"Nana, is this the same bathtub as Mommy used?"
"Nana, did Steven and Mommy take baths together, too?"
"Nana, can we have root beer? We can??!!"
"Nana, can we get dessert pizza at Mazzio's?"
"Nana, can we have a cookie? Seriously, we can get one any time we want??!!"

There was only a tiny bit of drama when the little one whined that his daddy makes them pick up the living room before they go to bed, too, and he didn't like it one bit.  But you know what, he pitched right in and helped.  I have good grandboys.

Then the hubby and I almost lost it when we hear this conversation:  "Hey, where is my knife?" and very seriously his little brother says "Here you go my good man.  I was using it to cut my sausage biscuit."

And they came in with glasses, masks, flashlights, and hats and Blaine declared to me "Helmet, mask, GPS, and flashlight. We have all we need for the wrath of a dangerous mission."  And off they ran to the great outdoors to save the world.  Oh my, I do love these little boys.

These boys are wonderful, but they sure made me remember and miss my own kids when they were their ages.  The giggles from the back seat were so sweet, but boy did they ever remind me of the early 80s when my own were giggling, or was that arguing, in the back seat.  I am probably looking back to the 80s through my rose colored glass, but these times were nothing but goodness.  My advice to all you young parents, enjoy these times for they are short and soon you will be looking back through your own rose colored glasses.

Memory:  Shawna reminded me today of the times when she and Steven would spend the week at Grandma Dawkins and how much work it must have been for her and Grandpa.  Remember when they would have all you grandchildren at the same time....whew....Mom how did you do it?  --  Note to her grandkids:  I never heard your grandma complain one bit, not one ''I am so tired."  She was one strong, sweet, wonderful grandmother.

I love you.

1 comment:

  1. they sure had fun and miss you both really bad.

    ReplyDelete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive