Sunday, October 20, 2013

All is Right With the World

Last evening long about 6:00, I went outside to let my family know that dinner was on.  The sun would be setting soon; long shadows, a cool breeze, such a pleasant evening and a perfect time of day.  I was headed back to the house when the smell of my dinner hit me.  Oh my, it smelled so good.  Isn't it amazing how odors/smells can be such a strong catalyst to our memories?

My mind was filled with a lot of memories last night in that little two minute walk to call dinner.  I remember taking a walk in Red River just before dusk and smelling someone's dinner cooking.  Nothing quite like a brisk walk in the cool (okay, it was cold) mountain air and smelling dinner cooking.  The air was crisp and clean with just a hint of charcoal and onions.  Perfect!

Way back in the day, we kids would be playing outside when the smell of supper cooking would come wafting out.  Soon time to eat supper.  Soon Daddy would be home. Soon mom would untie her apron. Soon we'd all be called in to wash our hands.  Soon we would gather around the table.  Soon all would be right with the world.

Just in case you wondered, I fixed salmon patties and potatoes with green peas and a simple white sauce.  And I lest I forget, sautéed onions. 

All is right with the world..............for at least 30 minutes.   

I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive