Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Brach's Cordial Cherries

<em>Brachs Chocolate Covered Cherries</em>
I hate to think about how close we are getting to Christmas, but we are.  First Thanksgiving, then Christmas, but things are looking a lot like Christmas especially at the grocery store. 

For years, hubby would buy me a box of chocolate covered cherries early in the Christmas season.  It was our "kickoff" of the holidays.  He'd be out running an errand and would think of me.  They were not just any cordial cherries, they were Brach's!  Then sadly, they disappeared.  We have been looking for them all these years until a few years back when we found out on the internet (you can find anything on the internet) that the company had been sold and the new company would no longer be making the cherries.  But lo and behold, tonight we found them at Crest's...........so we bought two boxes.  They are back!

So....in honor of the upcoming holidays, tonight we savored a couple of these cherries.  I am not kidding when I say savor.  They are so decadent, they should be eaten slowly...in slow motion.  It may be my imagination, but I believe they are as good as those of olden days.  If you search Google, you will see that there are people out there who are comparing different brands of these cherries, and you thought I was weird.  Once again, you can find anything on the internet.

Memory:  My grandpa Dawkins would buy my mother and her sisters-in-law a box of these every Christmas, making a point to buy them himself and pass them out himself.  I have this vision of him standing in front of the back door, passing these to the girls.  Money was tight for my grandparents so it really meant at lot to mom that Grandpa would do this for the girls.  Although she never cared much for those cherries, she always looked forward to her special present from her father-in-law.  This little gesture of special love that my grandpa gave to his girls really made an impression on his granddaughter.

Note to mom's grandkids:  Do you remember the Bugles that were always around at Grandma's house?  We bought some tonight....the first we have had since she used to buy them.  Miss her tonight.   

2 comments:

  1. such a swwet commentary Regina. I love chocolate covered cherries too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I remember those!

    -Your nephew in Tulsa

    ReplyDelete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive