Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Good Housekeeping December 1933

Some years ago I bought a copy of the December 1933 Good Housekeeping magazine.  1933--My mom was in the 8th grade.  This might have been a magazine that my grandmother would have in her home, but doubtful.  You'd have to know my grandmother.  So many, many things have changed through the years and if you want to see how drastically, check out an old magazine.  The first thing I noticed was the 25 cent price.  Do you think the price has gone up??

Another huge difference is all the fiction published in a magazine back then, eight in this magazine.  Back in the 70s I remember magazines had a couple of short stories, but sometime along the way the stories have dropped out.  Miss them especially this time of the year when there would always be a tear-jerker story or two. 

I was surprised at how many companies that advertised back then are still around; Ivory Soap, Bisquick, Colgate, Palmolive, Gerber's, Ponds, etc, but some that are now gone, Norge, for instance.  Some of the claims the advertisers are hilarious, i.e. Canned Pineapple--new dietetic research points out this daily aid to radiant vitality".  Will people look back in 70 years at our magazines today and laugh at how gullible we were?  Maybe we are all just a bit naive??

As today, there are articles about beauty and makeup; however, the article never mentions a particular brand of makeup, eyeshadow, etc.  Neither does the article on perfumes.  It is refreshing not to have articles endorse a particular vendor.  Am I cynical in believing that magazines are "bought" by a brand? 

Would you believe that in 1933 Good Housekeeping had a shopping service?  "Useful Gifts That Are Beautiful Gifts -Our Shopping Service Will Buy Them For You - How to order.  Free of charge--do your Christmas shopping in New York city.  Send check or money order, size, and color to Good Housekeeping Shopping, 57th St. at 8th Ave."  There pages of beautiful tea gowns, men's robes, dresses, hats, tie clips, children's clothing, crystal, trinkets, linens, toys, etc.  Interesting that the high end price of the dresses were around $15. 

There are photos of a beautiful house and the house plan.  One of the bedrooms is the "maid's bedroom" with its own bath.  There are lots pictures of decors of the day.  My friend, and you know who you are, you would love to see these pictures.  We could pour over them.  I miss you..........

Christmas recipes galore; even back then it was important to entertain with good food.  Christmas menus - one suggesting watermelon on the dessert table.  Watermelon for Christmas?  Where would you get a watermelon in December?

Poems - There are at least a half-dozen poems.  I haven't seen a poem in a magazine in years and had almost forgotten about them.  Here is a little short one that touched my heart at this Christmas time - 2011. 

FOR MY MOTHER
by Sara Henderson Hay

They said that every Christmas night
The Christ child came to walk below,
And so I set a candle light
To guide His footsteps through the snow ---
And there behind the window glass
I sat and watched to see Him pass.

My candle shone so clear and red
I thought the Christ would surely see,
And maybe He might turn His head
and smile a tender smile at me;
But drifted snow piled high and white
And almost hid my little light.

But when, my mother, you came in
And found me sitting, watching there,
You quickly crossed and raised my chin
and kissed my lips and cheeks and hair ---
And when I saw your eyes, I knew
Christ was already there, in you!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive