Thursday, November 17, 2011

Double Cousins

Did you know that my grandfather's brother married my grandmother's sister?  Whenever there was a family event on either side of the family, the same cousins were there.  There were four sisters in mom's family and three sisters and one brother in the other.  They were double cousins so does that make me a first cousin to them?  And does that make me second cousins to their children?  When we were little we attended the same church and often went home with one another till church that night.  It really was like one big family.  It was safe.  We all knew each other and knew all the relatives on either side.  It was safe!

Today, one of mom's cousins passed away.  That leaves two of my mother's sisters and one cousin left.  Three women left out of eight kids.  Nine really because mom had a brother who died when he was two years old.  The older generation is dying away which will leave my generation in charge, I guess.  That scares me because I have none of the wisdom that my aunts and my honorary aunts, mom's cousins have.  I guess we have to take one day at a time and hope that nothing comes up that is impossible for us to handle or maybe we can just "wing" our sage advice and come up with something resembling wisdom. 

Thanks for all your wisdom and all the right words, Mom.  

I love all you guys.  Back to more fun posts tomorrow.  And get ready.  I am going to my happy place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive