Sunday, November 6, 2011

Weekend Observations

Several weird or unusual things happened this weekend that warrant my commentary.  Not really, but I liked using that word and since as a child I never talked, this is my opportunity.  So in no particular order, here are my observations.     

Cussing - Friday afternoon, we drove west across OKC to look for bathroom tile.  At a stop light we were the third car back in the center lane next to the left turning lane.  A panhandler in a red jogging suit walked across the street in front of us to make his claim on the island between us and the opposing traffic.  He kept trying to make eye contact the cars around him while holding his much used torn cardboard with the scribbled words "God Bless" and gesturing for his female companion to come on.  She, however, was in the convenience store parking lot on our left holding back not wanting to join him.  He kept urging and gesturing for her to come on, over and over again.  Much to his chagrin, she kept resisting.  Finally, we understood why she would not join him after he screamed out "BLANK the police" only that is not the word he used.  He used the mother of all curse words.  (Remember Ralphie in A Christmas Story?).  She was  afraid of getting caught by the cops.  Now I ask you, did that seem just the slight be out of place, him holding the God bless sign while screaming profanity?  And no we didn't roll down the window....if he had not said a word, you could tell he was already high for the evening.      

My mother never, ever said a curse word in her life.  Never, ever!  She never said darn or heck.  She never said gosh.  The closest thing that could even be considered a naughty word from her was her use of the word "period".  "We are not going PERIOD."  She meant it, too!  Yep, she was the best woman ever. 
Earthquake - Now that was quite scary and a totally helpless situation.  Nothing much to be done when it hit, just ride it out.  I have a slight heart problem where my heart skips a beat now and again and believe me, it has skipped several beats since then.  I have felt earthquakes before, but this was the largest one I have ever been in.  5.6 according to geologists.  For the last 15 hours or so, I keep imagining that I can feel tremors. 

Football Games - I watched two televised games and of course they were Oklahoma teams.  OU was a sleeper, but that OSU game was scary right down to the last second and to top it off with an earthquake made for a fitful night's sleep.

Walmart - What is it about Walmart that brings out the "cesspool of society" (hubby's words)?  Don't get all up in arms thinking I am high and mighty.  I go to Walmart at least three times a month for various things, but really folks.....  Is Walmart the place to show off your pajamas?  Do you wake up and think "I need to get a new rug for the hall and jump in your car, tearing down the street........without any thought whatsoever that you are still in your pajamas........with footies.....for Pete's sake?  Do ya' think that footed pajamas are just a full body length pair of boots?  Do you honestly think that is the norm attire for Walmart?  Well folks, it might just be for we observed three (YES THREE) different families with pajamas on, some with feet.  Hubby pointed out some fleece pajama bottoms that I could purchase for our next trip back.  Uh.......sorry Charlie......no way!  And oh.......to the guy just outside the Walmart door...you with the tattoos all over...yes, you with the rings in EVERY conceivable place on your body....you there with your pants nearly falling off............hey you....the guy that is undressing or is it dressing so that we can see your glorious reflective white flabby stomach....yeah, you.  Put your shirt on before you leave the house.  I don't like seeing all those piercings.  Yuck!       

Weather - Except for the usual Oklahoma wind this has been a beautiful weekend.  The trees are turning, although not one of the most beautiful falls, it is still beautiful.

Friends - Three friends and a family member contacted me after the earthquake.  That made me feel good.  Since retiring I sometimes have my pity party thinking that I have left the world of friends behind.  Good to know they are still my friends.  Had a former friend tell me once that she felt that people came into our lives for a period of time and friendship was fleeting.  I didn't understand her then and I still don't.  I feel that friends are friends forever.  I love my friends and I love my family.

Sam's Club - Yesterday, I stopped for shrimp at my happy place.  Wouldn't you know there was nobody behind the shrimp display.  Off I went to the meat department.  Rang the bell and a man came to my assistance.  I asked if they had someone working the shrimp.  No was his reply and then he grinned.  He said he would be right with me.  Here he comes.  Gets behind the counter and lo and behold, no gloves.  Off he goes back to the meat counter.  He comes back and I tell him I feel badly about having him go to so much trouble only to have me buy just one pound of shrimp.  He fixes me my pound bag, put the label on, and reaches back in the case to pull out two more handfuls of shrimp.  He said that since I had to be inconvenienced, he was going to treat me to a few extra shrimp.  He also told me that they have to throw away all the left over shrimp in that display at the end of the day.  He didn't understand why they would fill that display and not have someone there full time to man it.  What a waste.

Also at Sam's, I gave way for this little old man to go ahead of me to the checkout lanes.  I made my way and found one almost empty, looked back and this little guy was right behind me.  Putting my shrimp and canned vegetables for Sam's food for seniors campaign, the little guy said that I didn't have much considering I was at Sam's.  I told him that hubby calls it my happy place and he said he called it his $100 bill place since he couldn't go there without spending that much. 

My point to these two stories, especially the last one is that at one time in my life, I would have been friendly, but would have kept my comments to a minimum, nodding and turning my head.  Somewhere along the way and more so now that I am retired, I have turned a new leaf and you know what, it makes ME feel so much better.  There are very nice people in this world (like these two gentlemen) and I want to be one of them.  You never know when somebody's day will be brightened because you gave them a few minutes of your time. 

Mall Shopping - Again, yesterday (I worked in a lot yesterday) I went to Penn Square Mall.  I had the best time all by myself, but having lunch with my daughter who joined me on her break.  A trip into Williams-Sonoma brought back some wonderful memories of my first trip to one and how in awe I was of all the kitchen gadgets.  A trip through the Dillard's lingerie department brought back pleasant memories of dreamed about pajamas that I longed for....NOT the kind for a trip to Walmart!  A trip to Baby Gap brought to mind that my grandsons are now too big for that store......sad.  A trip to Penney's brought reality in the form of good values and practicality in a sweater and vest.  What a good day...and sushi to boot!

I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive