Monday, March 21, 2016

Reliving Prague High School Senior Trip 1966 - Part I

I have loved to write for years; maybe I should have been a writer; maybe I should have taken journalism; maybe I should have gone to college!!!  But I didn't and here I am pretending that I am a writer.  From what I found today, it looks like I wanted to be a writer a long, long time ago.


This year is my 50th high school reunion and I have been digging up memories....sometimes from the windmills of my mind....sometimes from old pictures.....and sometimes from a scrap book.  Today it was my scrapbook and in it, my senior trip diary.  What better time to transcribe it than the 50th year anniversary of that trip.  It is a little long so rather than type the whole thing in this post, I will stretch it out over a few days.  Here goes (transcribed as written in 1966 by a boy-crazy girl).


1st Day                                                 Senior Trip                                                                   1966


May 25, 1966, I got up at 3:30 a.m. and got dressed.  Karen and Aunt Azelee came down & we went to Prague with them.  We went up by Mrs. Ellis' house & then on to the high school.  It was very cold.  We left from the high school at 5:00 a.m.  Everyone took pictures & slept on the way down.  Cye Kahanek was the only parent on the bus.  Coach drove.


At about 6:30 a.m. we stopped at the Patty Ann restaurant & ate breakfast.  Everyone was beginning to feel good about that time.  Henryetta looked pretty at that time of day.  We continued on & arrived at Fin 'n Feather about 8:30.  Our cabins weren't ready so we got out & stretched.  Mary Duncan, Nancy McGinnis & I walked to the lake which was about 1 mile away.  By the time we got back, everyone was on the bus ready to go swimming.  It was very embarrassing to have them wait on us.  So we climbed on and went to Strayhorn to swim.  The water was cold but clear.  It would wake you up.


We came back to the lodge about 12:00 and ate our first meal.  We had hamburgers.  The dining hall was very pretty (blues & greens).


We finally got moved into our cabins at 2:00.  We lacked one cabin having enough so Mary Duncan, Phyllis Nicholson, Joyce Edmond, Nancy McGinnis and I got the extra cabin.  The cabins were in duplex style and our neighbors were 4 boys from Amber-Pocassy.  Every night we would talk through the wall.  After we got moved in we went swimming at the pool to cool off.  By the time we got back & got dressed it was time to go to supper.  It was a cold supper & tasted good, although I didn't feel too good.


After supper we all fixed up & fixed our hair to go to the dance. There was a skating party but we didn't go.  I danced 5 times that night.  I danced 3 with John (from Amber-Pocassy), 1 with another Amber-Pocassy boy and 1 with Ronnie Sykora.  Had a good time.  Then we went to bed & slept great.  We talked through the walls a long time.


                                                                   GOOD NIGHT



No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive