Wednesday, March 16, 2016

So Long Mrs. Sutterfield

Over a week ago one of my favorite teachers passed away at age 97.  That's her third from left on the top row.  After our grade school finally closed, we were all shipped off to Prague, and everyone went their separate ways.  It was sad in a way, to be separated from those other kids that we sat next to even though they may have been a couple of years younger or older.  Our little family was gone.  Here are a few memories of my 5th, 6th, 7th grade teacher, Mrs. Sutterfield, that I have stored away over the years.

1.  She was strict, in the strictest sense, but I always felt that she liked me.
2.  She gave us gifts each Christmas.  One I particularly loved was a set of Blue Waltz perfume and talc.  I had never had such a grown up gift.  Since she didn't have children of her own, I always felt like we were her own kids.
3.  Once a year we had a carnival to raise money for our school.  One year we bought all kinds of games.  She piled us girls in her car and off to Shawnee we went to buy games.  Some I remember are Clue, Cootie, Mr. Potato Head, Uno.  Clue was one of my favorites.
4.  She was our 4-H director and she wrote all our 4-H demonstrations for us. 
5.  She also directed all our 4-H plays for us and we were always a winner.
6.  The cafeteria was next door to our classroom with a folding floor to ceiling divider.  If we were caught up with our studies, she'd let us slip between the divider and go help our one and only cook wrap the silver or whatever needing doing.
7.  She always wanted our margins straight.  She wanted the left margin to start at the light blue vertical line and the right margins at the even lighter blue vertical line that shadowed through the paper. 
8.  She had stunning handwriting and I always tried my best to copy her.
9.  Her husband came and entertained us on his accordion once in a while.
10.  She played the piano and I always will remember her playing "Country Gardens" for the 8th grade graduation ceremony.  A nice little rendition can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RTIRFbarxw

That's just a few of the memories I have of her.  What a wonderful teacher.  When we all went to Prague, I remember that I was a little jealous that she was teaching other kids and not me.  I hardly saw her after that last year at Garden Grove, only catching a glimpse of her now and again at the cafeteria.

So long Mrs. Sutterfield.

I love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive