Thursday, September 13, 2012

Daddy, You Can Wear Your Overalls

If you read my blogs, then you know they are very eclectic.  I may be writing about memories one moment, and ranting about someone rude the next.  I may write about my dumpling recipe and the next blog will be about skunks.  You just never know.  Tonight I am taking a trip down memory lane and I hope you enjoy the journey with me.  I will try not to make it a tear jerker.

As we were driving home just a moment ago, an old man in overalls....or is it coveralls, was out in front of his house with his lawn tractor and little trailer.  My heart just leaped and my night's blog was changed in an instant.  That scene reminded me of my daddy and now I have a lump in my throat.  Daddy wouldn't have been on the little lawn tractor though, no he would be on his huge John Deere tractor with a cab and air conditioning and radio.  Never had that when I was a kid. 

There is just something that tugs at my heart every time I see an elderly man, either in overalls or a polyester jump suit.  Those were daddy's uniforms according to whether he was setting around the house or whether he was coming to the city to have supper with one of his daughters.  He dressed up a little more on Sundays for church, but even with all the family there, he'd have changed into his overalls less than 5 minutes after we got home........cause for more than one conversation between him and mom.  Guess who won?

Anyway {sigh}, many nights not unlike this rainy night, we headed out to Prague.....right after work, to have supper with dad and mom.  Dad would be setting on the west end of the couch (you guys know exactly where he would be) so he could watch for us coming down the driveway......in his..........guess what?...........overalls.  Mom would be coming through the kitchen door to greet us....both thrilled that we were there.  Oh how I wish we could all be around that table and Daddy, you can wear your overalls.........

I love you.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive