Friday, September 7, 2012

High School Football






Franklin County High School football, Meadville, MS, August 24, 2012 

When I noticed the church on the hill, I had to take these photographs.  My only wish was that I had my DLR camera and tri-pod so that the snapshots would have more in focus.  It was a Norman Rockwell moment; players on the field and the church almost glowing on the hill.  These pictures just make me happy so I wanted to share them with you.  A peaceful small town in America.

We hadn’t been to a high school football games since 1995 when our daughter was a cheerleader, so when my sister suggested we go to the game, I was at first apprehensive.  Do I want to spend three hours at a football game where I knew none of the players, none of the cheerleaders, and only a handful of fans?  But..........off we went.......  Oh my gosh.............1966.............  The band is warming up.......tubba blaring.......drums beating.......bright stadium lights......the smell of cheap hot dogs.......popcorn popping.......little kids playing under the bleachers......skinny little cheerleaders giggling......fans finding their seats......me in my red wool skirt and white blouse.  Yes, I was in the stands right in our pep club section.......... 

But.......I wasn't at Prague High School at all.  I was right there in the bleachers at Meadville, MS, and I was filled with relief that with all the strife and discord in the world today, some things do not change.  In small town America, people are still supporting their local teams, cheerleaders are still chanting those same old cheers, drums are still beating, people are still standing in line at the concession stands for those cheap hot dogs, and fans are still supporting their young people.  People are still making memories.  There will be a winner and a loser, but not matter what high school memories are being formed.  All is right with the world.

I love you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive