Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Looking Like Mom

When you were a little girl, did you ever think that you would look like your mother?  For sure I never did.  No, I was going to be glamorous and nothing like my mom.  I am sure she thought the same thing about her mother.  Not once, as a child, did I ever think my mother resembled her mother.  Grandma was old and my mother was young and vibrant. 

Then as a young married woman, sometimes I could see the resemblance between my mom and her mother....just a little bit.  She still had years to go before having that "grandma" look that I associated old age.  As the years advanced, and long after Grandma passed away, Mom began to look a lot more like her mother.  In her very last years, the resemblance was so overwhelming almost to the point of me thinking surely it must be my grandma and not Mom.

A few days ago, I was in the car for 12 hours (as a passenger -- not just setting in the car for 12 hours -- you'd have to lock me up if that was the case) and I had a lot of time to observe my arms.  Nothing special about my arms except that I noticed that my arms look like my mothers.  Wow!  When did that happen?  Then I noticed my hands.......my mother's hands!!! 

A few days later, my daughter was giving me my second ever makeover (from her).  It felt wonderful; the pressure of the eyeshadow brush on my eyelids, moisturizing my face, brushing my hair....oh it felt so good.  She then asks me to open my mouth so she could apply lipstick.  She says, "Mom, you look just like Grandma did when she put on lipstick."

I guess that confirms it.  I am going to look like my mother.  Yes, Mom, I am going to look more and more like you every day, and I am proud of it.  There is no other person on earth that I would rather look like.  I just wish I had more of her persona.

I love you, Mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive