Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Recipes

Good evening.


I made a delicious German type meal on Sunday and thought I would share with you.  I found all recipes online, but added my own tweaks.  I won't say this is Old Germany good, but it is much more reasonably priced which is always good.  So when you don't want to go out here's a recipe for Red Cabbage and Pork Schnitzel.  Add some fried potatoes and you'd have a great meal.


Red Cabbage


In a large pot, sauté a couple of small sliced onions in about 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil for a few minutes, but don't brown.  Translucent is good.  Add a whole head of shredded red cabbage.  I used my mandolin, but be careful to not slice your hand off.  Turn it often till it wilts, about 5 or so minutes.  After wilted, add 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar.  Mix it in the cabbage.  Add 4 rounded Tablespoons white sugar.  Mix in.  Add 2 1/2 t. mustard seed.  Don't omit it!  You could use a little less, but I love mustard seed so 2 1/2 teaspoons is good for me.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Sauté for at least 15 minutes.  Call me and I will be right over.  This makes a lot, 10 servings I would guess.  I could eat a quart at a time.  Easily halved.


Regina's Pork Schnitzel


Pound 4 or so boneless pork chops with the blunt side of a meat mallet till they are about 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick.  Mix enough flour to coat the chops with salt and pepper in a shallow bowl and set aside.  Mix an egg with 2 Tablespoons milk in a shallow bowl and set aside.  Mix a cup of bread crumbs (Panko works best) and 2 Teaspoons of Paprika together in a shallow bowl and set aside.  Heat 1/4 cup Olive Oil in skillet.  Now, dip your pork slices in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs.  Sauté the pork chops, one or two at a time - don't crowd) till done; takes a very few minutes since they are thin. 


Now the Good Stuff - Dill Sauce


Add a cup of chicken broth to the skillet the chops were in.  Mix in the bits.  In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup sour cream with 2 teaspoons dill.  I used dill from the spice isle, but would be much better with fresh.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Mix a little hot chicken broth in the sour cream mixture and stir.  Then add the sour cream to the chicken broth and heat until thickens a bit.


Use the Dill Sauce with the Schnitzel.  I would double the dill sauce next time.


Another recipe I used today and will be a new favorite is for a marinade for chicken.  It is intense in flavor which will be nice as it was today when you get tired of chicken.


Simple Basil Lemon Marinade - enough for only one chicken breast.  Double for two.


Chop 1 T. basil leaves.  Add 2 garlic cloves - chopped.  Add 1/2 T. Olive Oil.  Add juice of 1 lemon.  Mix.  Pour over chicken breast which has been pounded as the pork chops above.  I put all the marinade and chicken in a zip bag and put in the refrigerator for 3 hours.  I sautéed my chicken breast in a little olive oil.  You could grill the chicken or even broil it. 


I love you.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive