Monday, February 17, 2014

Soup Spoons

Another good WINDY sunny Monday morning to you and Happy President's Day!  Comments I hear around here go, "Man, if it weren't so windy outside, I'd.............."  It is THAT kind of wind.  Makes you want to stay inside with earphones just to block that noise.  You know the noise I am talking about--the kind that makes you want to hide you head in the couch pillows.


I want to talk about spoons today, not just any spoon, I am talking large spoons that comes with a five-piece flatware setting.  Normally, I think these are referred to as soup spoons.  


Anyway, yesterday, I made a simple German meal which turned out to be fantastic.  Red Cabbage and Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce.  Yesterday for some odd reason, I used one of my metal soup spoons from the drawer, not my usual wooden spoons.  I was stirring my dill sauce just like I did when I was 16, just as Momma taught me (only I never, ever, ever made dill sauce), curved side down against the skillet.  Then it occurred to me.  I don't remember my mom ever using a wooden spoon.  She always stirred the gravy with an old soup spoon, curved side against the bottom of the skillet circling the bottom of the skillet.


So............if you are ever out antiquing and see a set of flatware where the bottoms of the largest spoon are worn more than the rest of the pieces, chances are someone used the soup spoons just as my mom did.........for stirring.  Oh, by the way, not only did we use them for cooking, they'd be the serving spoons as well...........and I don't ever remember them ever being used for soup UNLESS all the teaspoons were dirty.  The smaller teaspoons were used for soup..............and for adding sugar to ice tea.............only in later years did we actually find long teaspoons for tea...........so, if you lived at my house, you made do. 


I hope you have a wonderful day and enjoy the 20 MPH winds.  The wind only gets stronger the rest of the week.  Keep you hat on.


I love you.  Oh by the way, I am going to publish my German meal recipe tomorrow.  I know you just cannot wait.  {WINK}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive