Friday, March 16, 2012

And We Do Not Eat Lima Beans

Honeymoon Conclusion:  After we left Colorado, we headed to Dallas with a layover in Red River, NM, our first trip there as a couple, and one of many over the next 40 years.  I would love to remember that day in Red River, but nothing comes to mind.  So......let's just get on the road to Dallas.  By the way, do you know there is a lot of nothing between Red River and Dallas?

Dallas........a little different than Colorado and a little more upscale.  We got a nice room, took a nap, and then got ready to head down town to the Ports O Call for our evening dinner reservation.  Going down town or perhaps it is up town.  We were stepping out.  Gotta look good!  Hubby takes a shower, shaves, and slaps on aftershave..............right in his eyes!  Hubby splashes water in his eyes.  Hubby does the "I am in pain" dance.  Hubby splashes water in his eyes again.  Hubby dances.  Hubby tears.  Hubby in pain.  Hubby can't keep his eyes open  Look at the time.  "I would if I could."  Gotta go.  Reservations!  Down town!  Eyes tearing!  Eyes burning.  Eyes red.  Eyes tearing.  Regina gotta drive.  Regina cannot drive in Dallas.  "I am NOT going to drive in Dallas.  No way, bud!"  "Yes, way!  Wanna eat in a fancy restaurant?"  Regina going to drive.  Regina scared.  Regina drove.  Regina drove in down town Dallas and on the freeway.  Whew!!!!!!!!  We did NOT die.  Regina do anything for a nice meal.

Ports O Call - on the 37th floor.  This was some fancy place where we had to take one set of elevators to the 17th floor and get off and take another set of elevators to the upper floors.  "Wow, this is a nice place", I remember thinking as we stepped from elevator into what looked like an open abyss into the stars.  Windows from floor to ceiling.  I remember thinking I was not going to be able to set at a table near those windows.  The waiter must have felt my vibe for he led us to our table on the upper tier.  We just missed our death by a few feet. 

Settling in, we ordered our iced tea, but were served iced coffee.  Ugh.  I ordered trout at least twice in Colorado, but it was never cooked to my liking, so here was my chance, in Big D, to order trout......one last time before heading back to OKC.  I am here to tell you that if you order trout in Dallas, do not expect it to be any better than trout in Colorado, or in OKC, for that matter.  It was pretty bad and not only that, it came with lima beans.  Wow, here we were in this terribly fancy restaurant having our last meal before heading back to start our lives and I don't even get a baked potato, the food that brings a restaurant up from mediocre to a fancy place.  That's all it takes for me - just a potato.  Lima beans for Pete's sake!  We never even had lima beans on the leanest of days when I was a child.  Lima beans?  Where's the baked potato?  The good news of the evening.........the hubby's eyes quit hurting and he was able to drive back to our hotel with us both giggling about our unfortunate evening.  We probably would have little recollection of this evening if I had gotten my baked potato.

Back home, it was time to get on with our lives.  The hubby went back to work on Monday, but I decided to stay home one more day and play wife.  You will remember all my stuff that was dumped in the hubby's living room?  I was able to put all that stuff away and have a nice meal for my hubby.  "Honey, I'm home."

 The honeymoon was over, but our lives were just beginning.  Today, we have settled into a comfortable, blessed life.  We made it.  And we do not drink iced coffee.  And we do not eat trout.  And we do not eat lima beans.  I love you.


         

1 comment:

  1. Really, you ordered trout? Not a steak or lobster? You are a funny woman Regina!

    ReplyDelete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive