Thursday, March 22, 2012

Come Visit Mom's Frogs

Remember this, kiddos?  Yes, this is mom's frog collection and it has found a new home.  Right here at Regina's house.  I wasn't sure I ever wanted to display her collection of frogs in my house for frogs is not really my thing, but I didn't want them to be thrown away either so I took them...and held on to them.  Six years later and after agonizing whether I wanted a new display case, they are finally hanging on my wall.  Finally, I made the decision that the collection would mean more to me and every other member of my family if they remained on their original case.  Here they are in all their glory along with a few other little mementos; the little shoes from Holland from Aunt Geneva's trip in 1989, the little tiny plastic lamb that undoubtedly came from someones Easter basket, a brass bell, and a lone stone turtle.    
    Each one of these little frogs held special meaning to mom and after reading some of the labels, to me, too.  There are frogs of every sort...the more intricately carved stone frogs, the silly little souvenir frogs, the glass frog from Paris, the Alabama Clay frog, the one that came all the way to Oklahoma from Panama in my mom's suitcase, the brass frog from Greece, the Christmas Angel frog, the Santa frog, the frog chimes, the straw frog from Mexico, a thimble with a silver frog attached, frogs in rocking chairs, a frog made of sea shells, a frog with bright red lips, frogs that grandchildren showered her with on every gift giving occasion, frogs that were brought to her from various family member's vacation, and the list goes on and on.
I hate that some of the labels have fallen off for now we will never know exactly their origin, but I kept them anyway in hopes that someday one of you might help me put them with the right frog.
Here are a few of the carved stone frogs.  Notice that the label is still on one made from Alabama clay.  That one we know came from one of their many trips to see my youngest sister living in Alabama at the time. 
I mentioned to the hubby this morning that seeing her collection again made me want to start my own, but really sometimes "less is more" and besides this hobby was mom's which makes them special. 

Does it matter whether one collects cheap little souvenir frogs or Faberge eggs, diamonds or glass trinkets?  One may be more expensive than the other, but the value is in the pleasure that it brings you while acquiring your collection...making memories....whether they are memories of a special trip or a gift from a child. 

Come visit Mom's frogs.  You are no doubt a part of those memories.  I love you!


1 comment:

  1. I love it. I think collections give some personality to a room. Plus it will give you joy in remembering.

    Toni

    ReplyDelete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive