Sunday, March 11, 2012

Married Life - Day 1

Kids, I thought you might want to know a little more about your parent's wedding and honeymoon week.  Don't worry, I promise not to embarrass you.  As for the rest of you readers....if you are out there....hope you enjoy, too.

As I told you day before yesterday, our first married night was spent in Yukon, OK.  The next day, not too early, we left for Colorado.  I don't remember much about that day other than it was hot and we used the air conditioner.  We went up through Dalhart, TX, where we stopped in an old fashioned drug store that had a soda fountain.  We had some sort of ice cream treat there.  From Dalhart we took the route to Clayton, NM, and spent the night in Raton, NM.  I believe that to be on I25.  We found a room for $10.  Big spenders even back then.  Not exactly the wedding suite, but it sufficed.  It was clean.  I remember the wall paper.  Probably been on the walls for 20 years prior.  We were just spending the night and the next day we would be off for more adventures.  Our trip was just beginning.  No need in spending the big bucks on a hotel room in Raton.

On to Colorado Springs tomorrow morning.  Our life is just beginning.

Wedding Memories:
1.  I, along with my cousin and sisters (the bridesmaids), were in another area of the little church.  In order to get from there to the back of the church, we had to walk outside so my cousin told my dad to hold my train so that it wouldn't get dirty.  Once I started down the aisle, I noticed that Daddy had pick up the train again and had it wrapped around his arm.  He sure wasn't going to be the one to let my train get dirty.  Here I was - going down the aisle with my arm through my dad's arm which had the train entwined.  I whispered to my dad to let go of the train.  Maybe I gritted my teeth to tell him to let go!  Eventually he got the message and dropped the train.....4 pews from the front.  My wonderful mom made this dress and here it was, wrapped around my daddy's arm.  A sweet memory.
2.  My home church was between ministers so we asked the well loved minister that was at the church when I was a baby...23 years ago, to perform the service.  The man was old.....old I tell ya.  He hadn't been around for 20 years.  We had not met with him before that night.  If I hadn't worn white, he wouldn't have known me from Adam.  And it gets strange from here.....  We had candles in each window............  We had the lights turned down which means OFF at our church.  The lights were either on or off.  No in between.  Even though the candles were lit behind the minister, he couldn't see a thing.  Remember.......he hadn't seen my family in 20 years.  He only knew me because I was the one wearing the white dress.  So here he was, turning his notes to the candle light behind him...trying to decipher who I was.  And......he missed it.  Yes, he called me Regina Hawkins.  In case you don't know, my maiden name is Dawkins.  So, I, Regina Hawkins, took thee, Johnny Tucker............  We had asked for a short ceremony and believe me, it was shorter than either of us dreamt.  I remember we were just beginning to kneel for the prayer and before we could get down on our knees, we heard Amen.  The service was no more than 5 minutes.  Now that! is the way to have a wedding. 
3.  One of the groomsmen got lost on the way to the church.  My brother filled in - Thank you Robert.  The original groomsmen drove up just as the exited the church as man and wife.

I may tell you some more wedding stories tomorrow night.  I love you guys.
  

1 comment:

  1. Love reading this, what wonderful memories for your grandsons to read someday.

    Toni

    ReplyDelete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive