Friday, March 9, 2012

The Day Before....

Do you know what you were doing 40 years ago tonight? Were you even born 40 years ago? Well, if you were not, let me tell you what was happening to me 40 years ago. Everybody got that...?? We are talking 40 years ago.

As I told you yesterday, my grandmother died two days before my wedding - that would have been on a Wednesday. My grandpa insisted my wedding go on as scheduled and he also insisted that Grandma's funeral happen the day before my wedding so it would be behind us. In fact my two uncles and my aunt insisted as well.

I remember the funeral so well and even what I wore. I remember all the girl cousins rode with my uncle Milo who was married to one of my very favorite aunts. I remember him telling us as we were riding to the church that Grandma died with all her teeth. I think of that now and laugh. What a thing to think about as one rides to a funeral. I remember that I had a new green tweed wool coat. I even remember that it cost $10. I remember that because I only bought it because it was $10. Back in those days, one could get a pretty nice wool coat for $40 and I am sure my green coat was on sale. I have no idea why I remember wearing that coat.

What I also remember is my favorite aunt asking me to take her six year old daughter on out of the church after the service. After the service, the mourners had filed out of the church leaving on the family for a little time alone. My sweet little cousin was really torn up so her mom thought she would be better off outside. My aunt has since apologized for having me do that, but you know what I felt? I felt it a privilege and an honor that my aunt asked me to take care of her daughter. I felt grown up - that I was trusted to take care of her emotionally distraught six year old - that I could comfort that little girl - that must mean I am a grown up. Strange thought isn't it? Here I was getting married the very next day, I was 23 years old (old maid in those days), and it took my aunt to make me feel like I was an adult.

I am a sick puppy, huh?

Well, since I was getting married the very next day, I decided to stay the night with mom and dad. We had lots to do the very next day, like clean and decorate the church. We never thought about having any help. Besides, my wedding was simple.

Tonight (present tense) my hubby was reminiscing about that day. After the funeral, he came on back to Midwest City and starting walking my things to his duplex. Good thing we lived across the street from each other, huh? He told me tonight that he just brought drawers (I had a furnished duplex) over and dumped them out on the floor. I know that for a fact.

After the wedding we had to go by his (now our) duplex to get his things packed to take on our honeymoon. What man doesn't come to the church packed and ready to go on the trip? I was literally starved because I hadn't taken time to eat all day. We had cake, but I only had a taste. New brides do not have time to eat. There are too many people to talk to. Anyway, back at the duplex...new hubby asks if I just want to spend the night there? NOOOOOOO!!!!! I sure didn't want to stay there on my first night as a brid. No way! Besides I could never have rested knowing that house was in such a disarray.

He grabbed his bag and off we went....to Yukon! Ok, granted Yukon is only 10 miles from the duplex, but the point was IT WAS NOT THE DUPLEX! Yes, we stayed in a motel in Yukon, the Chauteau Inn. I still have the matches....we even asked for the Honeymoon Suite.....and believe it or not..they had one. Okay......I truly believe it was the Honeymoon Suite. It was nice to this little girl from Prague, OK. Now it was getting on towards 10:30 and we still had not eaten. Nothing open in Yukon, OK, at 10:30....nothing. New hubby runs across the highway to a convenience store and grabbed some bread and bologna. That was our first night together. Both of so hungry and too nervous to eat.

I wasn't sure about the bologna and bread, so I just now asked the hubby. He verified that and said, "we were sure tired, weren't we?"

The next day we headed out for Colorado. We headed out for a new life. 40 years later....

I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive