Thursday, March 8, 2012

My Grandma

Today, 40 years ago, was the worst day of my young 23 year-old life.  My heart was hurting like it had never hurt before.  My favorite grandmother passed away, two days before my wedding.  We had hopes that she would feel like being at the wedding.  Alas, that was not to be.

Instead of me dwelling on that sad day, I want to tell you a little about her love of flowers and she could grow some beautiful things, but she never saw a flower that she didn't appreciate.  At the first sign of spring, she would pick little flowers and lay them in a saucer with a tiny bit of water. In case you are thinking she picked little crocuses, no, I am talking tiny little weeds.  I can still see those tiny flowers in that saucer on her kitchen table.  Ah........the simple things can make the best memories.

A couple of weeks ago, my grandsons were here on a beautiful day which was perfect for our walk. Oh my, it is nice to have an acreage where the boys can play and explore just as my own kids did. The tiny little flowers were just peeking through the ground.  You had to look hard to even see them.  We stopped to pick some and I took the opportunity to tell them about my grandma and how she found beauty even in these tiny, tiny flowers. Have you ever stooped over to look at them and noticed how truly and delicate even weed flowers are?  Sometime get a magnifying glass and look at them and you will see that they are just as beautiful as any prize winning specimens - maybe even more so in their diminutive size.

My little guys were awed as I was with my grandma. They had to take their little flowers home in little medicine bottles with water.  I showed them how to hold the bottles just so - didn't want to spill the water in the car.

Memories!  We are making them all the time, folks, whether we realize it or not.  I love you Grandma.  I have so much to share with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive