Friday, March 23, 2012

Aunt Geneva

I had planned a completely different story for tonight's blog, but I went to see Aunt Geneva today and want to share a few little things with you.

1.  Aunt Geneva, age 97, uses her cell phone.  Yes, I saw her use it today. 

2.  Aunt Geneva showed my grandsons how to make music by covering a comb with a piece of paper.  They were in awe and practiced doing the same.

3.  Aunt Geneva told us that her father's, Grandpa Will Thompson, mother died when he was 3 days old.  His birth mother's name is Linton Robins Thompson and was buried at Cedar Glades Cemetery which was relocated after the Ouachita Lake was built.  I am looking for her name at the New Cedar Glades Cemetery which is a part of another cemetery, but cannot find that name.  Note:  I do not know the exact spelling, but will talk to her more.  Aunt Geneva is extremely alert so I know she will know the correct spelling.  By the way, the name Linton is Aunt Geneva's cousin's, Lorene Linton (Thompson) Garner Young, middle name.

4.  She said that Grandma Thompson told her that when Lorene was born (1915), snow was blowing onto the bed and was making little drifts that they had to keep shaking off.  Log cabin - I gather not a tight warm cabin.  How'd you like to be giving birth with snow blowing on you and without any kind of pain relief except maybe to scream?!  Times were rough, huh?

5.  Aunt Geneva went to college at UCO when the only building was Old Main.  There were no girls dorm, however, there was a boys dorm.  She and several other girls boarded with an old woman.

6.  She taught school at Prairie Valley School which was located just about 1/2 mile north of the Earlsboro exit on I40.

7.  The first year Uncle Virgil and Aunt Geneva were married, Uncle Virgil pledged $100 to build the new church "Pleasant Home Baptist Church" located where it is now.  She said she wondered how in the world they were going to come up with a $100, but they did.  The church was build debt free.

It was a total delight to see my aunt today.  She was in a terrific mood and had her hair cut and permed.  She looked 10 years younger than her age.  She laughed and enjoyed my little grandsons.  On the way out of town, we stopped at Hamburger King, our favorite. 

I love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive