Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Fishy Tales

Today my little one came to spend the day with me. He had his little little lunch bag packed with a peanut butter sandwich, a Capri Sun, and a Ding Dong just like his big brother took to school. What could be better than peanut butter and jelly?  Well, a tuna sandwich according to my little guy.  He had only eaten one bite of his peanut butter sandwich before he said he wanted a tuna sandwich instead.  Now what grandparent is going to deny a 4 year old a tuna sandwich?  His mom had told us he loved tuna and mayonnaise on bread, but we didn't believe it until we saw the little guy put away 1 1/2 sandwiches (plus three bites of his peanut butter, his Ding Dong, and a Capri Sun, but no green olives cause he hates green olives.  He loves the black ones though).

I am not a huge fan of tuna, but I can eat a cold tuna sandwich loaded with pickles, mayo, and boiled eggs on a hot summer day when you have been working outside and want something cold.  Serve me hot tuna and I want to gag.  You know me by now, and know that I am going to tell you a couple of stories about hot tuna, don't you?

1.  When I was a little girl, occasionally mom would make tuna gravy for lunch.  It was awful!  She'd toast bread and pour this 'gag me with a spoon' stinky, chunky, fishy gravy over perfectly good toast.  Try to get that stuff down without gagging, I dare you!  I hated that stuff, but not nearly as much as my little brother.  Ask him about it.  I'm sure he has vivid memories.  In case you are wondering exactly how to make tuna gravy, it is simple.  Make cream gravy, open a can of tuna and pour in.  Mix and gag - oh I meant serve.  Makes you want to make some tonight, huh?

2.  When the hubby and I were dating, he decided he would fix me a special meal.  I walked in and could smell that smell - a definite hot tuna smell.  My stomach just churned.  My thought was that I wasn't going to be able to get it down, I couldn't and I didn't.  There he had fixed me his special tuna casserole with potato chip topping, the only thing he knew how to cook, and my stomach was doing flip flops.  Back in those days I was a tiny little thing and could fill up on a bite so that was my excuse for not eating much.  Eventually, I told him the truth and he never fixed me another tuna casserole again.  Yea!  He loves the stuff, but I just can't make it for him. 

As the hubby and I were eating lunch with our little guy, we happened to say something about 'tuna fish' sandwiches.  Tuna is fish?!?  His little lip curled and his nose wrinkled, his eyes cut up and to the left.  He was in deep thought about it, but he must have rectified eating fish because he kept on eating.  And today was the day he learned that tuna was in actuality, fish.

I love you guys.  One day at a time.......       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive